Serepax

Because the world needs more overwrought candour.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Work
I've been a full time worker for about six or seven months now. While I quite like the cycle of work-stop-work, the disturbing thing about it is that I can see the rest of my life unfolding in a similiar vein and it scares me. I've also acquired a new temporary housemate, K, who told me an abridged version of her life story over an hour. I did the same thing and it took about a minute. It makes me think I'm following established routes too much; joining an existing organisation and taking home my share of the spoils. What K did was move to Sydney on a whim, become involved in an internet start-up, get bought out by a bigger fish, moved to London, lived in Italy, returned to Melbourne, worked on a feature film and now she books bands. While I've stored up a nice stock of dreams to live one day when somehow I find myself shucked out of a job (undiluted travel / a book / life without borders), I keep these dreams as armour against the threat of ever having to implement them, like a cunning politician. Oh, I have plans - but implementing them? If not now, when?