Serepax

Because the world needs more overwrought candour.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Failed puns
Despite my occasional dreams of being a lauded and much loved subeditor, whose divisive puns are loved and reviled worldwide, I don't think I'll get there. Two of my proudest moments didn't make the cut past my editor, much to my disappointment. Perhaps they were a little tasteless, but that doesn't make me less of a proud father. So, without further ado:

On a story about a kid who shaved off his locks to raise money for his sick mate, Doug's proud headline was:
"The bald and the bootyful"

Printed headline: "Sean shaves for his friend", or something equally banal.

On a story about a Great Dane attacking a child, Doug went for:

"In Great Dane-ger"

Printed headline: Something like "Dog attack threat".

Bah. My time will come. My time will come.