Serepax

Because the world needs more overwrought candour.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Rare Wiggle sighting!

Last night I was at Meyers Place in the city, trying to consolidate the journo-alcoholic character trait when I saw a man with startling eyes. He and his friend, around 40 were drinking and checking out girls. But this man with the startling eyes carried himself as if every moment he expected to be discovered, like a minor, insecure celebrity. He was dressed strangely, a cross between a ponce and a pirate. I had no idea who he was, but Jock has an infallible nose for placing people. Doug, he whispered, that man over there is a Wiggle. And so he was. The bar staff confirmed it. It was the Red Wiggle, shucked of his skivvy and looking at pretty girls. It was a bit creepy to think of a Wiggle as a sexual being, but I suppose he has needs. The strange thing was that no-one really recognised him. Everyone skirted past him, wondering why he looked so familiar, but no-one else could place him. I became very excited. I'm going to go talk to him, I announced. Jock looked puzzled. Why? Because my kindie kids in Japan wouldn't dance to anything else but the Wiggles, I said. Because they make music that kids like and he made my job a lot easier. But by the time I'd acquired a bit more Dutch courage, he had vanished. What a pity.

The Wiggles are one of Australia's biggest and most successful cultural exports. They were our top export earners in 2005. But like Bryce Courtney, no-one here wants a bar of them. Too popular? Too niche? Often imitated (the Hooley-Dooleys, Hi-5), but never matched - is their lack of fame not a crying shame?

I salute you, Red and your fellow Wiggles, even if no-one else does. But Wikipedia says you're married with two kids. I hope you were just flirting.

The final mystery to clear up why the fifth Wiggle, Phillip Wilcher, quit so early. He missed out on the $45 million they earned in 2004.

UPDATE! Wiggles divide and conquer like the Borg!

The Wiggles are now set to conquer the rest of the world, too—and they have an ingenious plan for doing so. The band has a licensing deal with Walt Disney International for Asia to cast new versions of themselves to tour in other countries. That means that not only could they be in two places at the same time, they could hypothetically be in 10 places at the same time.
The first clone of the group was created in Taiwan, where they’ve added a twist: the red Wiggle is a woman. They’ll do a Taiwanese TV show and record the songs, just like the Australian originals.

- From MSNBC