Serepax

Because the world needs more overwrought candour.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

World wide cooking

I had an idea a while ago to compile a sharehouse cookbook, based not on the idea of shopping prior to cooking, but the lazy student's method of inspect-shelves-toss-ingredients-in-pot-wait-ten-minutes. This is a cooking method I know and respect, as it has allowed me to create staggering works of genius (AKA a greeny spinachy fry-up of divinely cheesy proportions) and hellish rice dishes of doom. I knew the cookbook idea had probably already been done, but little did I guess that my idea had already been superceded and made redundant through technology.

Oh, mighty Google. How could I ever have doubted your powers? Why did I have to wait for a friend to suggest the idea of Google Cooking? Was it not plain in my sight? Clearly, I am not worthy.

Sigh. Google cooking is very simple, according to Andy. You simply inspect your shelves, memorise a few key ingredients and drop them into google. Stir, and add the word 'recipe' to taste. Tap the enter button, and voila! Recipes from the four (English-speaking) corners of the globe will cascade before you.

Andy claims a 95% success rate, with the sole offender a dubious risotto which was on the turn anyway.