Serepax

Because the world needs more overwrought candour.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Quick one

No access to the net makes Doug a dull boy. But I'll be back shortly. Until then, join me in pondering at the recent report released by AMP.NATSEM entitled "May the Labour Force be With You." While on one hand I find it childishly amusing that Big Name Serious Journalists have to use the heading, it's baffling that a large wealth management company would put its name to a report headed by a bad pun and Star Wars reference. How on earth did that get through the wall of corporatespeak? Why wasn't it dubbed "Labour Force 2005" or some such?

Ok, brief personal update:

- Life crisis: Fading to black. New plan: Do my Masters in International Politics and learn Mandarin in China. Hardly a career move, but I think I've kinda given up on the career thing anyway. I've been pretending I harbour ambition, but when it comes down to it, I'd be happiest as a poor footloose boy with aspirations of fatherhood and writing ability. Careers sound dangerous anyway.
- Love life: Delightful. Nuff said. We're the irritating lovebirds in cafes.
- Financial situation: Dire. Currently living beyond my means on Her Majesty's Social Security.

All in all, I'm remarkably happy. That means I've got nothing whinging to write. I think it was Susan Sontag who suggested humans developed speech out of a deep seated need to complain. That would also explain the flexibility and adaptability of English, coming from a miserable land of complaining types.