Serepax

Because the world needs more overwrought candour.

Monday, March 29, 2004

My first couple of comments! And my first mild flaming, as well. I prolly deserve it - some recent posts bordered on caddish.

Now, stuff. I'm well into my internship and have done a solid couple of weeks of trailing journalists around, which has been an education, but now I think I'd like to try writing my own story, if my pitch is good enough. It's wonderful seeing inside the organisation - I get to sit in on editors conferences, where the front page is created before my eyes. Depressing day today though - in courts, watching accused rapists and murderers wriggle and blush.

Stuff I've been thinking bout:
- Car horns as language - beeps parallel the neanderthal grunting - simple, imprecise communication. What does a beep mean, exactly? Sure, "I'm not happy", but how unhappy? What, specifically, do you want me do to? Move to the right? The left? Enter the intersection? The only subtlety is volume, and that isn't particularly informative.

- Justice as curbing selfishness. Rape, greed, most crimes are outpourings of unrestrained selfishness, without regard for the other people affected. Courts are effective because they bring the parties together, force them together, for the accused to see the victim to see the accused.