Serepax

Because the world needs more overwrought candour.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

English mark II

As English consolidates its position as the language most commonly learnt around the globe, a number of global dialects have arisen - Engrish, in Japan; Singaporean Singlish (a Hindi/Chinese/English hybrid), and Indian Hinglish, to name the most well known. The dialects shows up the flaws in the arguments of academics decrying the dominance of this linguistic monolith - as one language becomes more prominent, it interacts with the underlying languages to produce hybrid languages, like English itself - a polyglot vestige of the invaders of a small island off France.

I have devised a number of dubious methods to find possible news for my local paper. I have Google's web and alerts set up so that if anything happens in my suburbs worthy of being mentioned on the web, I get to know. So far this has produced stories on medal-winning dogs, policemen shooting magpies and so on, and it also makes me look good, as if I'm in touch with the common man on the street and have real live contacts and the like. I've also signed up to all the local school newsletters, from which I find essential picture-story fodder: kid does good.

Now, I will link my two paragraphs and hopefully make some sense. One of the newsletters I got recently is from a state school that uses international student fees to help keep it afloat. The international students went traipsing around being touristy and wrote a report in the newsletter. Tell me a native English speaker would ever have the imagination to use English like this:
When we got off the bus, the sky began to cry but no one cared about that. - Alex

And:
On the way to the Ashcombe Maze, I was attracted by the beautiful scenery: the green
trees, grass, the white sheep and the azure sky. As I was being intoxicated by the scenery outside the window, the bus stopped at the Ashcombe Maze ...
The wild wind blew from the sea and waves came one after another. We picked shells among rocks ...
The waves were hitting on the stones gently. This is the most impressive grand
sight that I’ve ever seen ...
To look into the distance, I couldn’t find the end of the sea. The blue sky and the sea merged together. That feeling I will never forget. In my heart, the scenery sighed with my emotion and I was surprised by the amazing power of nature; the cave that stood in the sea just like a small castle. A light tower stood on the hill, lonely under the sky. - Sherry

How pretty. A trifle starchy and formal, perhaps a little uncertainty on this foreign linguistic terrain, but with such inventive twists.