Serepax

Because the world needs more overwrought candour.

Friday, August 27, 2004

Five years of university - it's such a long time, but compared to high school, it's floated by so fast. Now that I'm nearly at the end I keep wondering if I did all those things that I thought I would like to do. I don't recognise myself except in vague hints when I look back at the naïve, gangly-limbed 18 year old of 1999. I've done the one thing I most wanted to do while at uni (farrago) but other than that? I always thought I'd be in at least one play; doesn't look like happening now. I did audition for one recently, but I wasn't particularly good - the one lasting memory I have of the audition is of my partner, a sultry goth with a penchant for purple makeup of all kinds, taking matters into her own hands and kissing me for quite a long time, when everyone else was just hinting at it. A surprise move, and one that failed dismally - neither of us got the part - but hey, it was kinda fun. Other things? Sport - I played squash for a couple of years (just limbering up for my corporate climb) but nothing major. I met a lot of people. I had a Long Term Relationship. And a Short-Term Relationship ending in tears (see February). Actually, my relationships appear to be decreasing in length every time - two years, then six months, then six weeks, and now I am (hopefully) the holiday boy for a Brit heading back in a month. This trend no doubt parallels my declining attention span…

This post is a little disjointed, but I'll get back on track. So. Uni phase in life nearly over. Have learnt much about: world, writing, people, love (not that much), sex (a little), death (too much), me, music, sport (god, but I used to hate sport at school. I'm a late blooming Australian). Along the way, I've lost a religion, a number of friends (attrition, not fallouts. I hope), my naïveté (useless thing), and my personality puppy-fat. Presumably, I'm now honed, a sharp, mean living machine, ready for the challenges of forty years of work and a retirement home. God. I think I still need a Life Direction. All the great people seem to have one. Or are they just ad-libbing as well?